I’m off to France for a week’s skiing tomorrow (if we can get there, damn snow) and I didn’t get organised enough to make a video before now, so no video. Sorry! D:
However! I have added ropes and pulleys!
In Game Concept
A munitions expert, maybe?
Your boss, and a zombie worker
One of my friends did some awesome concept art for DIG, which you may have seen in the last video. They’re awesome.
His twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/leomckitten
Week 5 Video, in which I talk about DIG as an excuse for not having done anything this week. :L
Forgot to post about WEEK 4 video! D:
Some of you may know that the workers in my game have ‘commands’ that they can execute, such as Mine Left, Walk To a point, etc.
I was finding these rather difficult to work out how to code, as commands had to access other commands, and commands could report errors which would means I would somehow have to stop the previous command at a certain point. I was previously accomplishing it using a function where a command had ‘subCommands’.
However, executing commands within commands within commands was horrible to do. I couldn’t think of an elegant solution that would allow me to break in and out of the commands at any time and also allows errors to stop a command in their tracks.
So, I wrote my own little scripting language.
It’s very assembly like. Which is always fun.
Also, being a scripting language, it has all the advantages of being a scripting language, such as being editable at runtime (which is amazing).
It’s been a fun learning experience, writing an interpreter/parser. (I’m going to say parser – it doesn’t feel good enough to be classified as an interpreter).
So yeah. I can dip in and out, commands can execute other commands, and it’s awesome. The only problem is it’s quite hard to code in. Ah well, it gets the job done.
Yeah. I got myself a to do list. It’s better than a scattering of notes on my whiteboard.
Woo, week 3 video!
Week 2 of my new development blog. Not much has been done this week unfortunately.
What went on today – or why you shouldn’t store data in silly ways when you have an exam the next day
So… in the process of trying to get DIG to look like this:
It first became this – also known as “Bollocks arse I did something wrong”
Then, it turned even worse and became this: – also known as “Ah fuck stop me breaking things please”
Until finally it actually did look like this:
Darkness! As there are going to be pre-generated caverns with evil things in and ore deposits, I need some way to mask the buts you haven’t mined yet. Volia.
Oh, and in reference to the title – because I’m trying to store the data in clever ways, this took ages to do, when I should have been revising for my Maths AS modules tomorrow. Yay.
Right. As my new year’s resolution, I’m going to be posting weekly updates on this game. Here’s week 1, and with it, a video of the new control system.
Unfortunately, for the next 2 weeks, I’ve got 7 AS modules, which means I’m going to have almost no time to code. I’ll try and get at least something done by next week though!