I’ve been doing some work on DIG, and decided to add some debugging functionality.
That’s when I realised that… well…
My pathfinding was taking almost half a second. That was not ideal. At all. I had no idea why, but I looked thorugh my pathfinding code, cleaned it up, and rewrote most of it, and lo and behold:
I used to suck at this programming stuff…
I finished Uni on the weekend Ludum Dare was happening. I was gutted, as there was a gathering at my university of people doing Ludum Dare, and I think being surrounded by people making games whilst you’re making a game would be an amazing experience.
On Sunday night, I was chatting to a friend on skype and jokingly suggested, that with about 7 hours left, I should make something for Ludum Dare.
…and then I decided it shouldn’t be a joke.
I ended up coding deep into the night, and making something I’m actually quite proud of. I’m calling it Unicode, because I couldn’t think of a better name at 5am and needed to submit it before I went crazy.
I might do a post about the random generation, because for 6 hours I’m really proud of it.
Also, yes! I’m not dead! I’m hopefully going to do some more blog posts soon, because I really want to get back into game dev. DIG isn’t dead!
So I’m entering the Ludum Dare with a group of friends, and since I’m using my engine, I need to upload my engine (which Alex has called “8th Plague” (my girlfriend made us watch The Prince Of Egypt just now)).
So here it is:
Also I’m really looking forward to entering the Jam with a team this time, and actually entering Ludum Dare! I haven’t done it for ages.
We’re livestreaming a webcam of our progress, which you can find here: http://twitch.tv/LiteralGames
Good luck to everyone entering Ludum Dare!
I think I’ve fixed most of it though.
To whoever did it, please don’t do it again. It caused me quite a bit of hassle.
In between college work and playing copious amounts of The Binding of Isaac, I’m working on a game.
A multiplayer game.
It’s called Castle Combiners, it uses PlayerIO, it draws heavily from one of my favourite childhood game Impossible Creatures, it’s an RTS, and pixelly and silly.
So far you can log in, chat, change your nickname, and create units and save an army.
My twitter feed is filled with all the game devs I follow actually working on something, and finishing it in a weekend. That’s really something.
What I just said is kind of obvious, but it blows my mind. So many game devs round the world are being connected by what they (hopefully) enjoy doing, and the sense of community is huge. The results are really impressive as well.
I’m really gutted I couldn’t enter. I haven’t been on my computer all weekend, so I wouldn’t have been able to do anything. Damn working on a Sunday.
It does really upset me that I haven’t really done anything for the last three LDs. LD22 I was ill, LD23 (where I managed to get out of work) I really didn’t get a good idea, and this one I was working.
I’m back working on DIG again, and I’ve started fixing a few of the notorious bugs that have hindered progress right from the very start. The game feels so much more playable already.
I’ve also written a comprehensive to do list, with everything I could think of on it, ranging from tiny bug fixes to major new features.
I would post a pretty picture or something, but there’s not really much visible to show.
IT’S ALSO MY BIRTHDAY TOMORROW. Just sayin’.
So, I didn’t finish my game this Ludum Dare. I did, however, get a nice prototype, which I will hopefully be adding to. I’m calling it Revolves for now.
I’ve been adding to a bare bones AS3 engine for a while, and as I may want to use it for LD23, I’m making it publicly available.
It’s all pretty self explanatory, and there’s not really much of it.
On, and you can expect quite a few Ludum Dare update posts over the next two days.
In short, it’s most game devs’ problem. Not being able to finish things. But it’s not only that I’m not able to finish a complete game, it’s the fact I’m not able to finish the little parts of the game as well.
I often find myself charging in to add a feature without really thinking through how I’m going to implement it. Then, it turns out that it doesn’t quite works, but works some of the time. I think “That works well enough, I’ll come back to it later” and leaving it half done. So right now, I basically have a whole load of half finished features, and I have no idea what needs doing.
Also, I’m far too concerned with optimization and proper coding practises. I worry about whether I should use getters and setters, whether I should rewrite that as a function or have that as a static variable, etc. I need to stop doing that too.
Oh. And I don’t comment my bloody code. That probably doesn’t help.